04 May 2010

Dancing at Dawn

I might have called this "Confessions of an Ex-Morris Dancer." Although it's been many years since I danced at dawn on May Day, and the Greenwood Morris side no longer exists, I have fond memories of gathering at 5:30am in the Beal Botanical Garden on the MSU campus to dance the sun up. Well, reasonably fond memories. Dawn on May Day in Michigan can still be pretty darned cold. Wet, even, sometimes. Hey, it's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.

I've still got my Greenwood Morris kit: the green vest with the embroidered badge, the arm bands, the hat with flowers and ribbons and pins, a big stack of white hankies, and of course the bells. When we were clearing out all of our surplus stuff I just couldn't bring myself to let it go. Really, how much space does it take? Besides, you never know. I might need it again someday.

So, I wasn't dancing at dawn on May Day this year, but lucky for you the Lassington Oak, Forest of Dean and Wild Oats Morris dancers were at the summit of May Hill, Gloucestershire to get the job done.



Well, somebody's got to do it.

2 comments:

  1. Gathering pre-dawn on May Day/Beltane to welcome the sun with morris dancing? Zoom, you pagan you. I like.

    Glad you have memories of these traditions but sorry that they are just that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so behind on my commenting!
    I like the video.

    Sometimes when I watch folks doing something I used be able to do it irritates the heck out of me but at the same time I enjoy it immensely.

    Oh what is that song? OH yeah Memories from Cats.

    ReplyDelete